Sexual health advice for young people

Information about what contraception is best for you, sexually transmitted infections, unprotected sex, having sex and family planning. 

Can you tell me which contraception is best for me?

Different methods of contraception suit different people. Long-acting reversible contraception (LARCs) are some of the most effective and safest methods of contraception. You do not have to remember to use/take anything and you won’t need a check for as long as they last.

You can get further information about different types of contraceptive methods on the NHS Choices website.

NHS Choices – Contraception (external website)

You will need to speak to your doctor about which contraception will be the best for you. You can also attend your local family planning clinic where you will able to talk about the best methods available and seek further advice.

I think I may have a sexually transmitted infection (STI), where can I go to get help/treatment?

You don’t need an appointment to access sexual health services; you can go directly to services without being referred. You can find out where your nearest sexual health services are on the Conifer Sexual and Reproductive Healthcare Services website.

Conifer Sexual and Reproductive Healthcare Services (external website)

There are also a number of people you could ask to help you find out where local services are, these include: 

  • healthcare centres
  • school nurses
  • education welfare officers
  • youth workers.

Local sexual health information leaflets are also a good source of information on where you can access services in your area these can be found in:

  • health centres
  • hospitals
  • schools
  • youth centres
  • children’s centres.

If I’ve had unprotected sex, what can I do?

It is important to seek help as soon as possible. The emergency contraceptive pill (also often known as the morning-after pill) can be used up to three days (72 hrs) after unprotected sex. The sooner you take it the more effective it is. If it’s longer than three days then you could possibly have an IUD (coil) fitted up to five days after unprotected sex.

Most, though not all East Riding pharmacists provide emergency contraceptive pill free of charge. To check which pharmacist offers free emergency contraception contact Conifer House.

Conifer Sexual and Reproductive Healthcare Services (external website)

You can also go see your GP to discuss or you could access the family planning services.

If you need advice on where to access local services you could talk to your:

  • school nurse
  • education welfare officer
  • youth service
  • connexions

You can also seek further advice on the Luv EYorks website above.

Is everyone else having sex?

It might seem like everyone else is having sex, but often people say they are having sex when they are not, it is something people often brag about.

The majority of young people do not have sex until they are over 16, even though they say they are to other young people.

The decision when to have sex is something you need to think about, it shouldn’t be something you do because you think everyone else is doing it. You shouldn’t have sex because someone else tells you to or they make you feel you have to, especially if you don’t want to. 

It is illegal to have sex under the age of 16.

What is family planning?

Family planning is a service that young people who maybe want someone to talk to about their sexual relationship can go to for advice. You can ask about contraception methods and which is the best one for you. You can also have screenings and tests if you are worried about having an STI (sexually transmitted infection) or STD (sexually-transmitted disease).

Further information can be found on the Luv Eyorks website about the clinics available for family planning:

Conifer Sexual and Reproductive Healthcare Services (external website)

For further signposting information on a wide range of topics please visit